Personal Data Protection Policy
This Personal Data Protection Policy ("PDP Policy") explains how the Biomedical Engineering Society (Singapore) ("BES") manages personal data, as defined under Singapore Personal Data Protection Act (No. 26 of 2012). By submitting information to us, or signing up for membership, courses and seminars offered by us, you agree and consent to BES, as well as our representatives and agents, of collecting, using, disclosing your Personal Data, and disclosing such Personal Data to our third party service providers and data processors.
This PDP Policy is in addition to any other consents you may have previously provided to BES in respect of your Personal Data. BES may update this PDP Policy from time time, as may be required to comply with any legal or regulatory requirements. You agree to be bound by the prevailing terms of the PDP Policy on our website www.bes.org.sg/pdpa. Please visit our website regularly for updated information on the handling of your Personal Data.
- For purposes of this PDP Policy, "Personal Data refers to any data, whether true or not, about an individual who can be identified (a) from that data; or (b) from that data and other information to which we have or are likely to have access, including data in our records as may be updated from time to time.
- Personal Data may include your name, NRIC, passport or other identification number, telephone number(s), mailing address, email address, education details, and any other information relating to any individuals which you have provided us in any forms you may have submitted to us, or other forms of interaction with you
- BES collects Personal Data as follows:
- when you apply for BES membership (online or offline);
- when you sign up for one of our events, initiatives, courses and seminars using any required form (online or offline);
- when you request to be contacted via email or other media devices;
- when you respond to promotions, initiatives or to any request for additional Personal Data;
- when you submit your Personal Data to BES for any other reasons; or
- when necessary to facilitate the completion of transactions.
- The BES website (www.bes.org.sg) does not automatically collect Personal Data unless you specifically provide such information or you login with your account credentials.
- If you provide us with any Personal Data relating to a third party (e.g. information of your spouse, children, parents, and/or employees), by submitting such information to us, you represent to us that you have obtained the consent of the third party to provide us with their Personal Data for the respective purposes.
- You should ensure that all Personal Data submitted to us is complete, accurate, true and correct. Failure on your part to do so may result in our inability to provide you with the products and services you have requested. Members are allowed to update their information via http://www.bes.org.sg member login with member ID and passwords.
- BES generally collects, uses and discloses your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- responding to your queries, requests and feedback;
- billing, accounting and/or auditing;
- conducting market research for statistical profiling and other purposes in order to improve the services of the BES;
- organising courses, seminars and events;
- preventing, detecting or investigating any crime, fraud, misconduct, unlawful action, breach or dispute;
- disclosing Personal Data to third parties engaged by or working in collaboration with the BES to facilitate any of the above-mentioned purposes.
- If you have provided your Singapore telephone number(s) and have indicated that you consent to receiving marketing or promotional information via your Singapore telephone number(s), then from time to time, BES may contact you using such Singapore telephone number(s) (including via voice calls, text, fax or other means) with information about our events and initiatives.
- In relation to particular memberships, courses, events or in your interactions with us, we may also have specifically notified you of other purposes for which we collect, use or disclose your Personal Data. If so, we will collect, use and disclose your Personal Data for these additional purposes as well, unless we have specifically notified you otherwise.
- You may withdraw your consent for receiving marketing or promotional materials/communication. You may contact us using the contact details found below.
- Once we receive confirmation that you wish to withdraw your consent for the Use ond Discolsure of your Personal Data, it may take up to 30 working days for your withdrawal to be reflected in our systems. Therefore, you may still receive communications from BES during this period of time. Even if you withdraw your consent for the receipt of marketing or promotional materials, we may still contact you for other purposes in relation to the services that you hold or have subscribed to with the BES.
BES will take reasonable steps to protect your Personal Data against unauthorised disclosure. Subject to the provisions of any applicable law, your Personal Data may be disclosed, for the purposes listed above (where applicable), to the following:
- BES and its employees, to provide content, products and services to you, address your questions and requests in relation to your membership accounts, attendance of events, subscription and billing arrangements with us
- agents, vendors, contractors or third party service providers who provide operational services to BES, such as data processing and storage, courier services, telecommunications, information technology, payment, printing, billing, technical services, training, market research, security or other services to BES;commercial shops and retailers in relation to providing member rewards and benefits;
- external banks, credit card companies and their respective service providers;
- our professional advisers such as auditors and lawyers;
- relevant government regulators, statutory boards or authorities or law enforcement agencies to comply with any laws, rules, guidelines and regulations or schemes imposed by any governmental authority; and
- any other party to whom you authorise us to disclose your Personal Data to.
- If you:
- have any feedback or questions relating to your Personal Data or our PDP Policy;
- would like to withdraw your consent to any use of your Personal Data as set out in this PDP Policy; or
- would like to obtain access and make corrections to your Personal Data records,
please contact Biomedical Engineering Society (Singapore) as follows via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or via mail at our address:
Biomedical Engineering Society (Singapore).
c/o National University of Singapore, Dept of Biomedical Engineering,
Engineering Block 4, #04-8 4 Engineering Drive 3,
- Please note that if your Personal Data has been provided to us by a third party (e.g. a referrer), you should contact that organisation, institutions or individual to make such queries, complaints, and access and correction requests to the BES on your behalf.
- If you withdraw your consent to any or all use of your Personal Data, depending on the nature of your request, BES may not be in a position to continue to provide its products and services to you, administer any existing contractual relationship, which in turn may also result in the termination of any agreements with BES, and your being in breach of your contractual obligations or undertakings. The legal rights and remedies of BES, in such event are expressly reserved.